Saturday, February 5, 2011

Interesting Memories from the Past

Coach Poorman sent this fine picture of the Pillsbury faculty from the late 50s. Can you name them all?
George Samaduroff sent two great photos that bring back many memories. Here is Conrad Jorgenson having some fun in the winter trying to push the old maintenance truck. Boy does that bring back memories that have been unvisited for many years. I remember the time when the temperature hung around the -20 mark for about two weeks.
George also sent this great picture of the Riley Society from the early to mid 60s. I can't name all of the guys, but many names came back as I looked at the faces. How about sending me some help in recognizing the crowd.
Ever since Coach Poorman sent me a recent email I couldn't get a certain need for confession off my mind. Actually, I told Brother Clarke the story when we took a trip together to Pontiac, Michigan for a FBF meeting in 1977. So my confession was done proper years ago, but I realized what good is it to have a "precious" memory when it can't be shared?

Back in my sophomore year in 1960-61, Dave Becklund, Roy Vasquez and I shared a room on 3rd floor Pillsbury Hall. Some guys below us acquired a TV that was quickly discovered by that pesky Dean of Men, but it gave us an idea. We purchased a used TV (very much like the one pictured below) and had a great time viewing it in our room for the last few months of the second semester. We even tapped into the Poorman's antenna for a better FM radio signal and TV reception too! Our strategy was to not share our TV with anyone else. That worked. Even Del Budke, who had arranged the purchase for us, could not find the TV in our room.
It was hidden in the bottom of a zippered clothes bag that hung on a extra coat bar in the room. Those were the days! Years later I told Brother Poorman that when we were freshmen at Pillsbury he was always hovering around the dorm, but didn't know what was going on -- until after it happened. By the time we were seniors, we hardly ever saw him on the floor -- but he knew everything going on, even before it happened.

No comments: